Deming Jarves was the founder of the the Boston and Sandwich Glass Company. The area around the factory became known as Jarvesville. As the number of glass factory workers grew, the company built housing for them as well as a company store and a school.
The first Jarvesville school was built in 1828 close to the factory complex on Jarves Street. To alleviate congestion around the factory, this school and an adjacent house on Jarves Street were relocated in the mid 19th century, and the land was redeveloped as St. John’s Park. The Boston and Sandwich Glass Company also required additional lands for housing and a cemetery (workers were not allowed to use the old town cemeteries).
And so Factory Street (now called Dewey Avenue) was laid out to extend eastward to a new cemetery (originally called Sand Hill Cemetery, now Mt. Hope Cemetery) and glass workers’ houses were built along Factory Street, George’s Rock Road, and the County Road (Main Street).
Note the decorative molding on the face of the blind dormer over the entrance.
(Click photo for larger view.)
As for the new school, in 1851 a new 2 bay by 3 bay, 2-story, wood-frame building with a gable roof was erected at the corner of Factory Street and George’s Rock Road. Known as the Jarvesville School, and later, the Sand Hill School, the building was replaced in 1885 with the current structure at 16 Dewey Avenue. It was constructed with a dividing wall down the middle and two entrance doors (gender-separated entrances were the custom at the time). After the school was closed, the building served as an American Legion Hall (starting in 1931) and as a gathering place for children and seniors. In 1950 the structure was re-named the Clark-Haddad Memorial Building for the first two Sandwich residents killed during World War I: Alden Clark and Michael Haddad. The American Legion Post 188 moved to new quarters in 1972. Later, 16 Dewey Avenue was used as office space by the Sandwich Public Schools until 2007. The building stands vacant today.
The building is a wood-frame, cross-gabled, 5 bay by 4 bay, 1-story former school house with a high gable on hip roof and a central blind gable dormer. The face of the blind dormer originally had decorative molding. The building has a granite block foundation, wood clapboards on the front elevation, and shingles on the side elevations. The front elevation is articulated with wide cornerboards and fascia, square columns, centered over the projecting front entrance under a piered portico which occupies the central bay of the facade. Other elements include tall 6/6 sash windows, a molded roof cornice and plain frieze.
(All photos, courtesy Sandwich Town Archives)
Gordon, Silene. “Will school offices be on the move? Sandwich considers consolidation,” The Bourne Courier, Mar 14, 2007
Lovell, Russell. Sandwich. A Cape Cod Town. Town of Sandwich Archives and Historical Center. William S. Sullwold Publishing, Inc. Taunton, Mass. 1984.
Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System (MACRIS): Sandwich, Area D. Main Street – Charles Street Area SDW.D
Town of Sandwich Archives and Historical Center